CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Would you give up a rock?

We picked up a daily routine from my sister and brother in law… Each evening, normally at dinner we go around the table and are able to share a high of our day and a low. Last night as we were eating, each child’s high was, “I have African friends now!”


After school today we allowed the children to go outside the wall of our home and play with all the children attending the boarding school that is across from our home. Our children had a minimum of 20-30 children around each one of them. They were all exchanging names and then the playing began. Samuel went and practiced the long jump. Noah played soccer. Silas went with some to see their classrooms and then off to soccer. Isabella and Gabriella played with a few girls right by our gate and danced and laughed. Despite the language barrier, they had an awesome time.

One thing that the children kept saying was, “Mom, they are just all so nice to us. I did not think they would be this nice.” Silas continues, “There was even this one boy that got up of his rock that he was sitting on and wanted me to have a seat. Mom that was so nice because he then did not have a place to sit.” I found myself inwardly rejoicing at these small yet really huge lessons my children are learning first hand. We were able to talk about how selfless these kids have been. They are doing it because most of their hearts are good and we are the white people; however, if we were to respond the same way, it is because we can show them the love of Jesus though our actions.

I have do unto others as you would have them do unto you a million times, but last night conviction hit my own heart. I can honestly tell you that my heart is to honor other and to show the love of Jesus, but conviction hit and I saw even in my own heart I am not always willing to give up my rock for the sake of someone else. I will at times rationalize, but I already did 4 times this week and me having a turn is o.k. And it is, but my conviction fell upon the times the Holy Spirit has nudged me to move and I have not.

A challenge I have to not only gave myself but my children: Show the love of Jesus by letting someone else have the seat on the rock when you may have no other place to sit….. In whatever situation this is! I challenge you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment