CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 11, 2010

What is Your Craziest Birthday Gift?

I have been sick for about 2 weeks and just was not able to do everything I wanted for Noah’s birthday. Growing up my parents made birthdays very special and it is something I really want to pass on to my children. Noah wanted me to share with everyone back in America what his first birthday in Africa was like.


He woke up to a tradition we started years ago in France. He and Chris went to get breakfast for the family. There is a French bakery here that is amazing and has pain au chocolat and amazing croissants. We had an awesome breakfast together and then he was dying for his first gift. We were pleased to give him an addidas toiletry bag with body wash and cologne that I got at the after Christmas sales for $3.00.

This is Noah's birthday breakfast choice!

Noah got to have Fanta for breakfast!
There is a soccer guy from Cameroon that is very popular here. Noah was dying for this soccer jersey that had this guy’s name on it. We asked Emmy who helps us during the day if she would pick one up for us. The African way seems to be that if they think there is something better, they change the plan without asking. Instead of the black and blue stripped soccer jersey, she got him a long sleeved shirt that had an iron on of this guy waving. She was so excited and thought Noah would be also. Well, we were smart enough to know that since this is the only gift Noah asked for, we wanted to make every attempt to get this specific one for him. When Chris goes to purchase this, the price is 10,000CFA or basically $20.00. Being white gives the automatic your are completely wealthy stigma. Chris had our day guard go and get the shirt for him for the big price of $2.00. Amazing! Noah was thrilled to get both!
Noah in his new soccer shirt
Noah wanted Pizza for lunch so we took him to our favorite restaurant here. It is an outdoor place where there is a brick oven and the pizzas are really good. We always eat pizza and french fries. My family sent out a surprise birthday card for Noah. I pulled this card out and Noah began to fight back the tears. I think he was more excited about this card than any other gift! We all thought that Uncle Eric’s birthday wishes were the best…Instead of eating birthday cake the African tradition is to eat Rhino Hoof… We all busted out laughing and certainly drew attention to ourselves.
Surprise Birthday card from the Family
Noah reading a letter from Kate
By this time I was in quite a bit of pain so Chris brought the girls and I back to the house. They went to a nearby park that we thought had go carts. It was not what we had expected, but fun for the boys. They were able to jump on inflatables, ride water bumper boats, jump on trampolines, ride these motorized motorcycles, and ride bumper cars. Chris thought it was especially funny that the bumper cars here are quite a bit different than in the States. They look just the same and drive the same, but here you are not allowed to bump anything. In fact, only one car is allowed to go at a time and you just are supposed to drive around the circle. Silas thought that was crazy so decided to at least bump into the wall for fun!

Noah on his motorcycle!
While the boys were gone the girls and I were going to be baking Noah’s cake. Again, I was not doing well so I spent the entire afternoon in my bed. The girls had been playing in the front yard and busted in my door saying that Serge brought over a birthday present for Noah from Suzanne and Agabus. I told them that Serge could come in. As I am sitting up in my bed trying to get up, Serge comes down the hall with a live chicken holding it upside down by its feet. He said this was a gift for Noah for dinner and wanted to know if I wanted to chop the head off or if I wanted him to. You get one guess as to my response….. As my face contorted in an odd way, Serge busted out laughing and said he would do it. He went to the kitchen found a knife and headed outside. Isabella and Gabriella right on his heels wanting to watch…YUCK!
Next, I come into my kitchen to this now dead chicken with all its feathers boiling in my pot. He said he needed to boil it before he pulled off all the feathers. OK now I am really sick to my stomach and Serge is about to bust a vein laughing so hard. I tried to explain how honored we were at such a sweet gift, but I just do not think I did a great job.
The boys arrive home and are so excited to help pull off feathers and clean out the inside. Not to mention Serge was thrilled that Chris said he could keep the head. Can you say culture shock for me! Noah mentioned that he bet not too many of his friends in America got a chicken to kill for dinner for their birthday!

Samuel, Serge being silly, and Basearo pulling the feathers off the chicken

Despite having to postpone birthday cake, Noah has a great 10th birthday. Thanks also for all the phone messages…he loved each and every one!




2 comments:

  1. just wanted to let you know your blog has been encouraging for me to read. i go to Oak Leaf Church, a church birthed from West Ridge. my husband and I are praying and waiting on the Lord to tell us where we are going overseas.
    thanks for being real on this blog, helps me see a glimpse of the reality of living overseas. :-)

    Praying for you and your family,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. connie-- i want to know what's going on with your health! praying for you my friend~~ missing you desperately ~

    ReplyDelete