CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Another Bit of Cultural Shock

I do not iron. Cannot iron. Can never get the wrinkles out when I try to iron….Hate to iron. I was more than excited when a lady here told me it is better to have someone come to your home and have them iron there. This gives them a full days work. Before I even questioned the price I told her to put me on this plan and help me find someone. As expensive as things are here, labor is not one of them. To hire someone to do a job here, it is crazy cheap. Just so you know, to have all of our things ironed for an eight hour day, it cost me $2.50. This my friends is one of the perks of living in Africa.

So, this guy shows up at my home. His name is Aziz.  He is college age, nicely dressed, and has a very warm smile. He asked where my iron was and I pointed to the ironing board and iron that I had brought from the states. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. I knew right away, this guy had no idea how to iron. My first thought was at least I am only spending $2.50. He ironed a couple things and then said that he would be back in a few minutes. I continued on, getting things ready for our first team to arrive and when I returned was amazed at what a great job he was doing. He proceeded to show me what a real iron is. Please see my pictures below.



The purpose of this post is more than just that I was totally amazed that the normal way to iron here is with a metal iron that is heated by charcoal. Though this does blow my mind, the more amazing part is that just a little over a year ago, Aziz gave his life to Jesus. He had been walking a road that was literally leading to death. He was a mVslim that had no hope. This guy was asked to help us by our pastor’s wife. His mother is deceased and this past year has been very hard for him to find work. Here is the really sweet part of this story… Many would think, “Oh wow, he has given his life to the Lord and left the mVslim faith. This is a big deal and I bet he will be immediately blessed with work, friends, encouragement, etc.” He is indeed blessed; however, his life circumstances have not gotten any easier and work has been even harder to find. Despite the struggles he may have with the Lord, He knows true joy and his life reflects that even in his despair.


We had a team that arrived from Grace Chapel church. There were two days that this group helped to roof a school and the youth from the church here at the LAC worked hand in hand with this team. This team not only helped in the way of some intense physical labor, but they invested in a relationship by serving alongside these Africans. Aziz’s life was encouraged and blessed at their sacrifice. Pray for him. Pray that we will be able to continue to encourage this young believer in the Lord. Pray that God will draw him closer and closer to Himself as he walks through these struggles. Pray that his life is richly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment