CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 21, 2010

There is a curve in Learning French... What I thought I said was really not what I said... YIKES!


Last Saturday night we kicked off the year with a movie. The kids started back the 1st of Oct so it has given them time to settle in and was a good break from studies. More than 200 students came and all stayed very interested to the end. We showed the movie Narnia. While Chris was setting everything up I explained to the students that Chris and I were here because of our great love for Jesus and our great love for them. All the students were quiet and Agabus was standing there with me and I noticed him looking at me weird. I paused and he got a little clarification from me... With my terrible accent, the word for love and death/to die sound very much the same. They seemed to all think I said we have a lot of death for Jesus and we have a lot of death for them and we wanted them to know the death of Jesus also. Though it was a very embarrassing moment for me, it was a great start as the kids and myself laughed. After being able to clarify, Agabus said that this was good because it broke down some walls right from the start. We invited all of them to be part of worship yesterday morning and they now know why our family is here. At the end, Agabus explained the symbolism of the movie. It was really a great night. Pray that God will stir the hearts of these students unto repentance and faith in Him.


The second thing is I have become very good friends with one of the students moms. Saturday was a day at the LAC for parents to come and visit. I have really been praying for her salvation. She is mvslim. Her son gave his life to Jesus here at the LAC a little over a year ago. Each time we are together, she has opened up more and more. Today, God opened the door for me to share the gospel with her. She is suffering and really feels like her life is hopeless. I told her she needed peace in her heart and life and that could only come from Jesus. I gave her a bible and asked her to read the book of John and on her own she promised. I do believe the day is coming that she will give her life to Jesus... please pray for her. Just pray for Philemon's mom. The funny thing about this story is that again before she left I really stressed that she needed al lot of peace in her life that could only come from Jesus.... with many tears her response was, I know!

Praise God He worked in spite of my very bad French because once again my accent did not serve me well.... (this is terrible and I feel so stupid and sorry mom for saying this word out loud) the word for peace and the word for fart sound very similar. Chris about fell over when I was so excited telling him in French what I said to her. His response was so Connie... you just told her that she needed a lot of fart in her life that can only come from Jesus. Please tell me you really did not say that.  ..... Seriously will not make those mistakes again... You better know I now have a better pronunciation of those 4 words!

Thank the Lord he works in spite of me!

We really are excited about what God is doing at the LAC!

1 comment:

  1. oh, Connie, I love you so much!!! I was laughing out loud as I read this--the joys of speaking a new language!!! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete