CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Big Fish Out Of Water...... AND Loving It!

So I think I just had my first official girl’s night out since I have been in Africa. I have to start by bragging just a little bit on Jesus. He placed this amazing vision on the heart of a woman here in Burkina to help girls/teens in crisis. She prayed for years and the doors never opened. She did not allow the lack of an open door to end her praying. Due to the war in Ivory Coast- 8 years back, God moved Steve and Amy Nehlson to Burkina. An amazing family!! Who ever knew that God would connect these two women to come together and start this amazing ministry….. The Dorcus House!

Currently there are I6 girls that are living at the Dorcus House. These girls will capture your heart and mostly due to the fact that they glow. One of the things that I have expressed since living here is that I hate that I do not see people smile very often. Maybe I am just not at the right place at the right time, but I have had to work at times to pull a smile out of people. These girls walk in a room and they light it up with their smiles. I believe this is because they truly have a deep appreciation and love for the Lord. When you are saved from much, I think gratitude goes to a whole new level.

So a little about this ministry… They run an amazing program. Just a few things they are doing for these girls… First- They are loving them and giving them Jesus. Second- They are loving them more and giving them Jesus. Third- They are watching lives change as these girls surrender their lives to the Lord. They have regular prayer and bible study. They all have responsibilities in cleaning and cooking on a rotation basis. They are being taught to read and write French which brings so much value in and of itself. They have learned how to make purses that are amazing. They know how to make soap and are learning to sew clothing. They have been given a gift. They are being taught a trade that after leaving, they will have skills to return home and use to look for work. There is no doubt that God is doing some amazing things in the lives of these young women!

Ok so fast forward… There has been a CMA youth camp here at the LAC. 11 out of the 16 girls were able to come for the final 2 days of the camp. I was so excited when they showed up at my door during their break time to visit. We began talking about the evening and they could not wait for the closing ceremony to begin. They were stoked about praising the Lord through song and dance. I told them that I would try to stop by. Well, glad I really did get ready for this because at 9:00pm, I had 11 girls at my front door ready for me to go over to the worship time.


Please picture this… a couple hundred black people and then me. My tan is not even good. Yep, I was so the only white person to be seen and everyone knew I was there. I stood out like no one else. I think the only thing brighter than me were these shoes that I want to bring home for Pastor Brian to wear one Sunday morning.

Take it a step further… White girl who cannot dance, danced and worshiped with them until 3:30am. It was amazing. What was even more amazing is that I am missing my family and girlfriends badly. I am nowhere near ready to be done here, but just to have a phone line and good internet to communicate…. Please help me here Lord! Desperately miss my mom sisters and brother.  I miss my Randal girlfriend, My Roswell 6 girls, my amazing Jax friends, and my dearest Bec. I have been one of these girls that has been so blessed with amazing girl friends in each place I have lived…. Really only God could give friends like I have. Well would it not be just like Him to fill that void with these amazing girls and worship. I was totally embarrassed trying to learn some of these African dances. My children would have been like, “Mom, please stop!” BUT… in it all was a gift for me. I really experienced this time of worship in His holy presence as a gift. I learned that being a fish out of water may not be something I will run from in the future; rather I may need to run to it…. I would have never thought such a gift would have been awaiting me!

Please pray about supporting us. We are only able to be here because people give! Can you support us $10, $25, $50, $100 a month? See the link below that will take you directly to our support page. If you want to support us by sending a check please email us and we will get you the specific information needed. Click below to give in-line!


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you had such a good time, Connie! I kinda wish I had been there to see it :) but mostly, i want to come just so we can sit down and visit. I miss you so much too, Connie! Praying for you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you my friend and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete